Held from 15 April to 6 May, the Kitakami Tenshochi Cherry Blossom Festival attracts large numbers of cherry blossom fans from around Japan. There’s much to enjoy, including vivid carp streamers that add colour to the sky over the Kitakami River, pleasure boats floating on the river, nostalgic sightseeing horse-drawn carriages running along the line of cherry trees, and the beautifully illuminated lines of cherry trees reflected on the river surface.
The venue, Kitakami Tenshochi Park, is a park along the banks of the Kitakami River that is known as a cherry blossom viewing spot. There are about 10,000 cherry trees in about 150 varieties, and the park was chosen as one of Japan’s Top 100 Cherry Blossom Spots by the Japan Cherry Blossom Association. The row of cherry trees that extends for 2 kilometres from Sango-bashi Bridge along the right bank of the Kitakami River is also counted as one of the “three famous cherry blossom spots in Michinoku (Tohoku)” alongside Hirosaki in Aomori Prefecture and Kakunodate in Akita Prefecture.
- ● About 10 minutes by car from Kitakami Station on the JR Tohoku Shinkansen, or about a 20-minute walk from the station
● About 12 minutes from the Kitakami-Ezuriko IC on the Tohoku Expressway
*General vehicles are prohibited during the cherry blossom festival, and a shuttle bus is operated
- Car Park
- There is a temporary parking lot during the cherry blossom festival.
- Tachibana, Kitakami City, Iwate Prefecture
- Kitakami Tourism Convention Council
- Telephone Number