Located on the site of Sendai Castle's San no Maru ruins, Sendai City Museum is surrounded by trees in a beautiful setting. The museum opened in 1961 to store, exhibit, and research materials related to the history, art, and culture of Sendai, including cultural properties donated by the Date family of Sendai,. The museum was completely rebuilt on the same site in 1986 and now houses approximately 98,000 historical, cultural, and arts and crafts materials related to Sendai, mainly from the Edo period (1603-1867), including the national treasure Materials Related to the Keicho-era Mission to Europe, including three UNESCO Memory of the World Register, and Important Cultural Properties including Date Masamune's armor and battle coat, Toyotomi Hideyoshi's armor, and a sash worn by Misawa Hatsuko.
*The museum is closed from October 1, 2021 to March 31, 2024 (tentative) for major renovation work. Activities during the closure, such as events and exhibitions outside the museum, will be posted on the museum's official Twitter and website.
- 宮城県仙台市青葉区26 Kawauchi (Sendai Castle San no Maru Ruins)
- Individual: Adult: 460 yen; High school student: 230 yen; Elementary & middle school school student: 110 yen
Group (30 or more people): Adult: 360 yen; High school student: 180 yen; Elementary & middle school school student: 90 yen
- Opening Times
- 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (Last admission: 4:15 p.m.)
- *The museum is closed from October 1, 2021 to March 31, 2024 (tentative) for major renovation work.
- Subway: 8-minute walk from International Center Station (Tozai Line) South 1 Exit
Bus: Approximately 20 minutes via the Loople Sendai bus from Sendai Station West Exit Bus Pool Bus Stop No. 16, 3-minute walk from Hakubutsukan Kokusai Center-Mae bus stop
- Official Website
- Sendai City Museum Website
- Sendai City Museum Twitter
- Sendai City Museum
- Telephone Number