This is a museum located in a corner of the site of the outermost region of Sendai Castle (Aoba Castle). The museum stores approximately 97,000 articles. It holds national treasures including three articles (e.g., a portrait of Hasekura Tsunenaga) registered as UNESCO Memories of the World. In addition to these, there are materials donated by the Sendai Date Clan. Furthermore, you will find historical, cultural and artistic handicraft materials, and armor and helmets related to the Sendai Domain with a focus on the Edo period (1603 to 1868). The permanent exhibitions are changed every season to display approximately 1,000 articles at any one time. You can learn about the history of the Sendai Domain, the Date Clan and a mission to visit Europe led by Hasekura Tsunenaga. This makes it a museum worth seeing.
The Sendai Castle site that includes the site of the outermost region of the castle has been designated as a historic site of the nation. The remains of Sendai Castle are preserved and used as a historic site park. In addition, commemorative monuments and sculptures have been established around the museum.
The museum is located at the base of Sendai Castle. Therefore, we recommend heading to the castle after looking here. The seasonal flowers and birds will delight your eyes. There are cherry blossoms in the spring, lesser cuckoos in the summer and white bush clover in the fall.
- Adults and university students: 460 yen (Groups: 360 yen)
High school students: 230 yen (Groups: 180 yen)
Elementary and junior high school students: 110 yen (Groups: 90 yen)
- Opening Times
- 9 a.m. to 4:45 p.m. (Last admission: 4:15 p.m.)
- ● Mondays (Open if that Monday is a public holiday or substitute public holiday)
● Day following public holidays and substitute public holidays (Open if that day is a Saturday, Sunday or public holiday)
● December 28, 2019 to March 31, 2020 (For indoor facility renovation work)
- ● Approx. 8 minutes on foot from Minami (South) 1 Exit after getting off at International Center Station on the Sendai Subway Tozai Line
● Approx. 10 minutes from Sendai Miyagi IC on the Tohoku Expressway
- Official Website
- Visit this website
- Sendai City Museum Tourist Information Center
- Telephone Number