Marine Gate Shiogama is the nickname for Shiogama Port Passenger Terminal. It is the arrival and departure point for the Shiogama City Ferry that connects the Urato Islands - remote islands of Shiogama - with Shigogama. It is also the arrival and departure point for sightseeing boats visiting Matsushima - one of Japan's three famous sights. This makes it the gateway to sightseeing in Matsushima.
The nearest station is Hon-Shiogama Station on the JR Senseki Line. It is about 10 minutes on foot along the deck from the station to Marine Gate Shiogama with a salty sea breeze. The Marine Gate Shiogama elevated walkway is connected from in front of AEON Town - a shopping center adjacent to the station.
There is a souvenir shop on the first floor, a restaurant on the second floor and an observation deck on the third floor in the building. The souvenir shop sells special products of the region. These include freshly baked sasakamaboko (bamboo leaf shaped steamed fish paste). There is also a seafood restaurant where you can eat tasty local food, a sushi restaurant, a seafood donburi (seafood served on rice) restaurant, Chinese restaurant and other restaurants. You can spend a meaningful time while you are awaiting for the arrival and departure of the boats. Many visitors come here during the Shiogama Minato Festival which is counted as one of the three major boat festivals of Japan.
- Opening Times
- Varies by store (Shopping zone: 9 a.m. to 6 p.m.)
- Varies by store
- ● Approx. 10 minutes from Rifunaka IC on the Sanriku Expressway
● Approx. 15 minutes from Sendaiko-kita IC on the Sendai-Tobu Road
● Approx. 10 minutes on foot from Hon-Shiogama Station on the JR Senseki Line
● Approx. 8 minutes by taxi from Shiogama Station on the JR Tohoku Main Line
- Car Park
- Shiogama-Ko Kaihatsu Co., Ltd.
- Telephone Number