Arahama Elementary School, where 320 students, teachers, and residents evacuated after the Great East Japan Earthquake on March 11, 2011, still retains the scars of the tsunami that swept up to the second floor.
The school building has been opened to the public as ruins of the disaster in order to pass on the threat and lessons of tsunami to future generations and prevent further loss of life.
*Check the official website for the latest information.
- Opening Times
- (Regular) 9:30-16:00
(July, August) 9:30-17:00
- Mondays, the fourth Thursday of the month (excluding public holidays), year-end and New Year holidays
- From Arai Station (Sendai Subway Tozai Line), take the Sendai City Bus bound for "Ruins of the Great East Earthquake Sendai Arahama Elementary School" (15 minutes), and get off at the last stop, "In front of Ruins of the Great East Earthquake Sendai Arahama Elementary School"
- Car Park
- Standard car: 77 spaces
Large vehicle: 5 spaces
- Official Website
- Sendai City Official Website
- Ruins of the Great East Earthquake Sendai Arahama Elementary School Facebook Page
- Ruins of the Great East Japan Earthquake Sendai Arahama, Elementary School Administration Office
- Telephone Number
- Fax Number
- E-mail address