This all glass-sided modern building is a masterpiece of the well-known architect Toyo Ito. It has an unusual structure. A rooftop lighting device reflects the sunlight and takes it into the building through tubes. It is as though you are appreciating art with just the building alone. It is a complex cultural facility loved by citizens as a base of art and visual culture activities. Nevertheless, travelers can also enjoy it as a cafe, shop and gallery. We recommend using this facility to take a break while walking around Sendai. You can look down on a row of zelkova trees on Jozenji-dori Avenue through the glass.
The building contains a Sendai public library, audiovisual library, studio, project room, gallery, cafe and a shop that sells art-related goods. This is a public facility designed to allow all people to freely exchange information through various forms of media. Exhibitions, screenings and workshops on art, video and media are held here. Furthermore, programs are given to provide education and awareness so that all people, including those with disabilities, can freely use media.
- Opening Times
- 9 a.m. to 10 p.m.
- Fourth Thursday of every month from January to November
December 29 to January 3
- ● Approx. 20 minutes on foot from JR Sendai Station
● 6 minutes on foot from Koen (Park) 2 Exit after getting off at Kotodai-Koen Station on the Sendai Subway Nanboku Line
● 13 minutes on foot from Higashi (East) 1 Exit or Nishi (West) 1 Exit after getting off at Omachi Nishi-Koen Station on the Sendai Subway Tozai Line
● 15 minutes on foot from Kita (North) 1 Exit after getting off at Aoba-dori Ichibancho Station on the Sendai Subway Tozai Line
- Car Park
- Yes (64 spaces)
- Official Website
- Telephone Number