Miyagi Zao Fox Village
You will be welcomed by more than 100 foxes who are let run free here. There are a total of six types: familiar Ezo red foxes and less common silver foxes, Arctic foxes (blue and white), platinum foxes and red foxes.
The village has been established in a forest. If you take a walk, there will be foxes who follow you from behind and foxes who will pull at your clothes. Therefore, you can observe the ecology of foxes that you didn't know about before. If you come at the right time, you can even experience cuddling a baby fox! You can also interact with rabbits, goats and ponies in addition to foxes.
However, you are not allowed to enter the village with multiple elementary school-age children and younger if you are a single adult. You will need to take care because the foxes are allowed to run free, so they may bite you.
Original fox goods are available as souvenirs. There are many types available - including stuffed toys, sweets and key chains.
- Shiroishi, Zao
- Adults (Junior high school students and older): 1,000 yen
Elementary school students and younger: Free (Up to one child per adult)
- Opening Times
- 9 a.m. to 5 p.m. (Last admission: 4:30 p.m.)
Mid-November to mid-March: 9 a.m. to 4 p.m. (Last admission: 3:30 p.m.)
- Wednesdays (Open if that Wednesday is a public holiday and during February and August)
- ● Approx. 20 minutes by car from JR Shiroishi-Zao Station
● Approx. 20 minutes from Shiroishi IC on the Tohoku Expressway
- Car Park
- Official Website
- Visit this website
- Telephone Number