Among the twelve lakes in the vast beech forests of the Shirakami-Sanchi, a registered World Heritage Site, the most popular spot is Aoike (Blue Pond), which features beautiful clear blue water.
The lake can be observed from the boardwalk on the wooden deck. When the sun shines through the water, it is transparent enough that you can see fish swimming below. The pond's strinkingly blue water is so mesmerizing, it's as if the water has been artificially colored with blue ink. The best time to visit is around 11:00 a.m. The pond is a light blue color in the morning and transforms to a darker blue in the afternoon.
Many hikers visit the area during the spring season of fresh greenery, and autumn leaves in fall.
- Free admission
*Guided walking tours: available for a fee
- Closed in winter (December to March)
- ●Approx. 2 hours 45 minutes by car from Owani Hirosaki Interchange (Tohoku Expressway)
●Approx. 1 hour 15 minutes by car from Ajigasawa Interchange (Tsugaru Expressway)
●Approx. 1 hour by car from Noshiro Minami Interchange
●After arriving at Juniko Station (JR Gono Line), take the Konan Bus Juniko Line and get off at Oku juniko Parking bus stop (approx. 15 minutes)
- Car Park
- Oku-Juniko parking lot (approx. 94 spaces: standard-sized cars, 7 spaces: large-sized cars)
・Motorcycles: 200 yen
・Standards-sized cars: 500 yen
・Midsize/large-sized cars: 1,500 yen
- Official Website
- Aomori Fukaura Town Tourism Division's Official Website "Where is Fukaura?"
- Fukaura Town, Tourism Division
- Telephone Number
- Fax Number
- E-mail address